Sunday 27 April 2014

The Reverse Animal Cleanliness Calamity (Working Title) - Storyboard and Script

This project is going to have the characters interacting with their voices, so unlike my first project, I would have to try and come up with a script. I felt this wouldn't be too hard to do, since both characters have definitive personalities, but when I started, I needed some sort of inspiration to help me get an idea of how to make these characters interact and make it funny. 

When I got stuck, I turned to SpongeBob SquarePants for help. I watched the episode "The Battle of Bikini Bottom", where Spongebob and Patrick were in battle against each other. SpongeBob tried to clean his best friend Patrick, and Patrick tried to make SpongeBob dirty. I thought this was a hilariously charming episode and thought I could apply this to my animation, although both characters would not have such hostility towards each other. 


When I wrote my first script, I printed it out and looked over it. I started making my animatic from this, but when I got stuck, I revised my script. 

Above is the scanned script with the changes. 



Above is my final script, which I used to finish my storyboard, shown below. 


The above images are thumbnails (click to make larger) of a draft storyboard. The script made it easier to visualise the animation in my head and put it into comic form. 

I was happy with how the draft came out, so I drew up a working storyboard, making it neater for me to see how the characters would move, interact and look. 






Above is a presentation appropriate storyboard with colours, text below to help explain the camera shots and the action in the screen. 

I could tell that there was a huge difference in the creation of my storyboard, as this time, I had the help of a script to make the images come onto paper. I could tell that when my first animation (Thermostat) had a Tom & Jerry appeal to it, this animation would take a different direction and still succeed in its goal of explaining the point to the audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment